- Studying the causes of disasters and developing appropriate technologies for disaster risk reduction
- Developing indegenous technologies for addressing problems such as sea erosion which are unique to our region
- Providing periodic training/dissemination of knowledge to local community
- Monitoring of critical parameters and development of data base
- Carrying out damage assessment after disasters and assisting the government in planning the policies for relief distribution
- Predicting typical types of disasters based on past histories
- Developing IT tools & early warning systems
- Economics and policy analysis of disaster risk for sustainable development
- Carrying out detailed studies on the vulnerability of lifeline structures of the region and suggest measures for their retrofitting through laboratory as well as field studies
- Making recommendations for improving the reliability of important infrastructures of the region in a possible disaster scenario
- Developing the centre with modern state-of-the-art equipments/instrumentation
- Collaboration with researchers and organizations associated with similar activities at regional, national and international level.
- Environmental Disaster Management
- Floods and Tsunamis
- Roads and Traffic
- Landslides and Slope stability
- Proposed a Workshop on " Mitigation of Disaster on Roads” on 10.10.2014 to 12.10.2014
- Proposal for the procurement of Analytical Equipments for Environmental Disaster Monitoring and prevention on 14 Feb. 2014 worth R 10 Lakhs
- Conducted a Workshop on "Community Resilience through UAV" on Feb. 27,28 and March 01, 2014
- Delivered a Key Note Lecture on Ëcotechnology - Present and the Future"at the two days National Workshop on “Civil Engineering Challenges In 21st Century (Cec21-2014)” during 21 & 22 Feb. 2014 at MITE, Moodabidri.
- Three Students submitted M.Tech thesis on related topics.
- Brain Storming Sessions held.
- Rendered advice on conducting a National Seminar on "Disaster Management" at Besant Womens College, Mangalore.
- Conducted a Three Day Workshop on “Training of Environmental Science and Engineering Professors” on 19-20 September, 2013.
- Courses on "Disaster Management" and "Environmental Management", "Coastal Erosion and Mitigation", " Coastal Disaster Management" being offered at UG and PG level respectively.
- Established a full fledged Earthquake Laboratory with Research facilities.
- Proposed a Workshop on "Innovations in Safe Industrial Applications of Nuclear Technologies” on 23.10.2013 and 24.10.2013
- Members of the Core Committee :
- A.V.Hegde, Department of Applied Mechanics and Hydraulics.
- Subba Rao, Department of Applied Mechanics and Hydraulics.
- Kiran Shirlal, Department of Applied Mechanics and Hydraulics.
- M.K.nagaraj, Department of Applied Mechanics and Hydraulics.
- A.Mahesha, Department of Applied Mechanics and Hydraulics.
- N.Lakshman, Department of Applied Mechanics and Hydraulics.
- Sitharam Nayak, Department of Civil Engineering.
- K.S.Babu Narayan, Department of Civil Engineering.
- R.Shivashankar, Department of Civil Engineering.
- A.U.Ravishankar, Department of Civil Engineering.
- K.N.Lokesh, Department of Civil Engineering.
- Katta Venkataramana, Department of Civil Engineering.
- Subhash Yaragal, Department of Civil Engineering.
- M.C.Narasimhan, Department of Civil Engineering.
- S.Shrihari, Department of Civil Engineering.
- Harshavardhan, Department of Mining Engineering.
- M.B.Saidatta, Department of Chemical Engineering.
- G.Srinikatan, Department of Chemical Engineering.
ADDRESS FOR CORRESPONDENCE
Coordinator CDRR and
Professor, Department of Civil Engineering
N.I.T.K.Surathkal, Mangalore - 575025.
Ph: (0824) 2473346; 91 9449087533
Email : shrihari [at] nitk.ac.in
s. shrihari [at] gmail.com